Treatment for Heavy Menstrual Periods in Ventura, CA (Menorrhagia)
Menstrual periods can change throughout a woman's life, but consistently heavy bleeding may signal a problem that can be treated. Many women experience heavy periods, but it is not normal and is something that needs to be discussed with your gynecologist. The board-certified gynecologists at Ventura County Obstetrics & Gynecology provide Novasure as an effective treatment for heavy periods. If you experience heavy or irregular periods, Novasure might be right for you.
What is Considered a Heavy Period?
If you experience any of the following problems, it is recommended that you speak to your gynecologist:
- Bleeding that last longer than 7 days
- Soaking through more than one tampon or pad every hour several hours in a row
- Needing to change a pad or tampon during the night
- Experiencing large blood clots
You should seek immediate medical care if you have soaked through your normal tampon or pad in an hour for more than 2 hours, or feel lightheaded. If you experience any of these symptoms, make an appointment with one of our gynecologists today by calling (805) 643-8695.
Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
What is Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
1 in 5 women suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding. Many women begin to experience heavy and/or irregular bleeding in their 30s and 40s, as they begin to get closer to menopause. Heavy periods are more than just a hassle - they take a physical, social, and emotional toll as well.
Studies show heavy menstrual bleeding can affect women in a number of ways:
- Many feel tired and nauseated
- Many experience bad cramps
- Many have headaches
- More than 60% have had to miss social or athletic events1
- About 80% report avoiding sex1
- 33% have been forced to miss work2
- 77% have depression or moodiness1
- 75% feel anxious2
- 57% report a lack of confidence during their period1
Heavy periods are not something with which you have to live. Today, there are a number of effective treatment options available.
- National Women’s Health Resource Center. Survey of women who experience heavy menstrual bleeding. Data on file; 2005.
- Cooper J, et al. A randomized, multicenter trial of safety and efficacy of the NovaSure system in the treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc. 2002; 9:418-428.