Annual Gynecology Exams in Ventura, California
An important part of staying healthy is to have regular gynecological exams beginning at age 21, or within three years of becoming sexually active. The physicians at Ventura County Obstetrics & Gynecology provide a full range of gynecological and obstetrical services including your annual well woman visit.
Our board-certified gynecologists are proud to provide comprehensive care for women in Ventura, California. Learn more about annual wellness exams and schedule your appointment today.
Preparing for your Annual Wellness Exam
The most important thing to do before your gynecological exam is research. Women should be prepared to discuss their family medical history and be ready for questions about their menstrual cycle. Some of the most commonly asked questions your provider may ask include:
- When was your last period?
- How long does your period typically last?
- What age did you start your period?
- Are you sexually active?
What should I expect for my annual exam?
The pelvic exam only lasts a few minutes and the exam itself doesn’t hurt. Most physicians will explain the process before beginning the exam, asking questions throughout the process is encouraged. The pelvic exam consists of the following steps:
- Your gynecologistw will typically begin the annual exam with a breast exam to check for lumps that may be a sign of cancer.
- Your physician will then check the external genital area for irritations, cysts or other problems.
- Next, the physician will insert a speculum, which is an instrument that is used to examine the cervix and vaginal walls. During this time, your gynecologist will also conduct a pap smear to check for cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.
- The last step in the physical exam is for the physician to check the uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries by inserting gloved fingers into the vagina and pressing on the abdomen.
Schedule your Well Woman Exam with Ventura County Obstetrics and Gynecology
Not only does the annual exam ensure that you maintain good gynecological health, but it is also an opportunity for you to catch health problems in the early stages. Have you scheduled your annual Gynecology exam? Call our office to set up your appointment today!